Gift vouchers are available
Buy 5 Reflexology treatments and get 6th FREE
Reflexology in Exeter, Devon and surrounding areas
Reflexology & Meridian Therapy
Reflexology is a holistic therapy that aims to treat the person as a whole by restoring balance to the body, mind, emotions and spirit. By applying a specific massage technique to the reflexes in the feet, Reflexology aims to stimulate the body in order to induce a state of balance and harmony. When the body is relaxed, it is able to heal.
It is useful in:
- treating ill health
- maintaining good health
- preventing illness
Meridian Therapy incorporates the use of the Chinese Meridians and Elements as an assessment tool in order to more effectively get to the root of the problem. Symptoms are merely the body’s way of warning us that something is wrong and the balance has been disturbed. If we listen to our body and restore the balance, we enjoy vibrant good health and prevent dis-ease from going deeper into the body.
Benefits of Reflexology
- Improved Circulation
- Deep relaxation
- Eases pain
- Increases oxygen levels
- Efficient distribution of nutrients
- Strengthens the immune system
- Improves digestion and bowel movements
- Increases energy and vitality
- Improves mental state
- Improved quality of life for terminal diseases
What can I expect during and in-between treatments?
Everyone reacts differently and may experience different effects. You may find you don’t feel anything initially or you may find that your feet feel quite sensitive. The more congested an area in the body is, the more sensitive the reflex in the feet will feel. The therapist should adjust their pressure to suit your comfort level. Reflexes usually become less sensitive after a few sessions. As balance returns to the body, congestions break down and are removed from the body. Do not be alarmed if you seem to get a little worse with recurring symptoms before getting better. This is totally normal and is known as the ‘healing crisis’ as your body eliminates toxins. It is a good sign. Drink plenty of good quality water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to help flush the toxins and support the liver in detoxing.
Some symptoms that may be experienced during a treatment:
- Sweating in palms and feet
- Sudden cramp
- Overwhelming desire to sleep or close the eyes
- Disappearance of pain or discomfort
- Warmth in the area being treated
- Referral sensations in other areas of the body
Some symptoms that may be experienced in-between treatments:
- Exacerbated symptoms for 24 to 48 hours
- General aches and pains following a treatment
- Skin rashes, spots or pimples
- Desire to cry
- Increased wind and flatulence
- Increased urination, darker and stronger smell
- Relief from pain
- Ease and improved frequency of bowel movements
- Better moods
- Improved sleeping patterns
- More energy
- Joints appear more mobile
- Relaxed and lighter
Why are some parts of my feet more sensitive?
The sensitive areas in your feet relate to the areas in your body that are congested or not functioning optimally. Excess acidity in the body due to diet, lifestyle and stress causes calcium deposits to settle at the nerve endings. These deposits develop into acid crystals which can hamper normal blood circulation. Reflexology helps break down these crystals so they can be carried away by the blood and removed from the body.
How many treatments are needed?
Everyone is unique and heals at a different pace. Usually within 3 to 6 treatments a noticeable response is felt with relief of symptoms. The key is to listen to your body, it always knows and will tell you what is good for it and bad for it. It is important to remember that disease has taken time to develop and will therefore take time to eradicate. My aim is to get my clients onto a monthly maintenance treatment if there are no major health conditions. I usually recommend that you have a follow up treatment a week after the first session to give the body a good boost and then treatments can be moved further out if required. Some people enjoy the relaxation they feel and prefer to come more often. Please feel free to discuss your requirements with me and we will formulate a treatment plan that works for you.
Will a Reflexologist be able to cure or heal a condition?
No, only the body is able to heal itself. Reflexology aids the body in balancing the body systems so that it can function at its optimum where healing can take place.
Can a Reflexologist diagnose?
No, a Reflexologist is able to form an opinion of what is going on in the body. A medical doctor, should be consulted in order to obtain a diagnosis.
Who can benefit from reflexology?
Everyone can benefit, from babies to the elderly. If undergoing surgery, having Reflexology before surgery helps minimize trauma to the body and helps the body recover faster. Reflexology after surgery also helps aid a speedy recovery. Reflexology also helps people with learning disabilities, aggressive behaviour, hyperactivity and is greatly beneficial during pregnancy and childbirth. Babies love it.
Caution is advised in the following situations:
- Thrombosis – as the clot could move
- 1st trimester of pregnancy
- Diabetes – type 1 insulin dependant, insulin intake might need to be adjusted due to the pancreas being stimulated
- Epileptics - as seizures can occur during a treatment
- Unstable blood pressure resulting in the use of medication
- If you have suffered a heart attack in the last six months
- Certain types of cancer, i.e. lymphatic cancer
- If you are taking large amounts of prescribed drugs
- If you have received donor organs